Spectrum Internet Troubleshooting Guide
We understand that internet is extremely important to your studies and we want to get you back online as soon as possible, so we’ll ask you to do some trouble shooting to help diagnose the problem. Internet issues can be caused from a number of things, so let’s try to narrow it down a bit…
- Reboot! Always a good standby that remedies many issues. Rebooting your devices, including the ONT, your router, and any devices you’re using is a good first step.
- Plug in! A wired connection will always be better than a wireless one. A direct Ethernet connection between your PC/MAC and our ONT will give you the best speed and most accurate results.
- See the guide on trouble shooting slow wireless speeds.
- Test. There are several speed test sites out there. This is the one we recommend: http://speedcenter.level3.net/
If you having issues with connectivity while connected directly and/or your speeds are not near what they should be, please contact Spectrum directly at 585.756.5000. Your account should be under the NAME with the ACCOUNT NUMBER (see below for your home’s information).
If the operator mentions that they were unable to locate an account or ask for a social security number, inform them that you are just the tenant, the landlord pays for the internet and you are experiencing problems and need their assistance in troubleshooting the matter. Spectrum should be able to help you troubleshoot the issue and if there is a problem with our modem or router, they will let you know. If you are still experiencing issues, please submit a Repair Request.
Still Having Issues?
Most modem issues can be resolved by manually rebooting. Simply follow the step-by-step instructions below:
Step 1: Verify Connections
- Check for loose connections. Verify that one end of the coaxial cable is securely connected to the wall outlet and the other end is securely connected to the modem.
- Make sure the power cord is securely connected.
- Check that one end of the Ethernet cable is securely connected to the modem’s Ethernet port. Check that the other end is securely connected to the computer’s Ethernet port.
- If using a router, securely connect the Ethernet cable to the router’s Internet, WAN or modem port.
Step 2: Reboot the Modem and Router (if any)
- At this point you’re ready to reset the modem. You may do so by pressing the reset button on the modem. If the modem does not have a reset button, you may reset it by unplugging the power cable from the modem (and your router if you are using one).
- Wait approximately 1 minute for the modem to reset.
- If you have unplugged the power cable from the modem or router, plug your modem back in first, and then your router. If you are using a router, allow about 2 minutes for the router to “sync” (i.e., reconnect) with the modem.
- Wait for lights to stop blinking on the modem and wireless router if you have one. Allow up to two minutes for the router to “sync” with the modem.
- If you are connecting via wireless, make sure you’re within range of your wireless router, and that the wireless connection on your computer is turned ON.
Step 3: Restart Your Computer
- Restart your computer
- Open an Internet browser.
- Test your Internet connection by going to at least two web sites.
|RocRooms Property||Account Number||Account Name||Notes|
|Highland Suites||141040906||Jesse Casper||Bedroom 1 Office|
|Arvine Colonial||130306304||Jesse Casper|
|University Heights||130306601||Holden Miller|
|Puma Place Units I & II||012972008||Jesse Casper||Located in Unit II|
|Arvine Heights||066353911||Jesse Casper|
|Sunnyside Suites Units I & II||148091808||Jesse Casper||Located in Unit II|
|River’s Edge||136344505||Jesse Casper|
|Brooks West||132302514||Holden Miller|
|Fairview Corner Units I & II||134346208||Jesse Casper||Located in Unit II|
|Congres Heights Unit I||134336007||Jesse Casper|
|Congres Heights Units I & II||134336318||Holden Miller||Located in Unit I|
|Valley View||256944003||Holden Miller|
|Terrace Park||032860716||Jesse Casper|
|Elmwood Estate||136834707||Jesse Casper|
|Emerald Estate||130305605||Holden Miller|
|Brooksview Units I & II||019569718||Jesse Casper||Located in Unit II|
|Pathway Villa||130305805||Jessie Casper|